Kickapoo Orchard was set in 1913 by the Schubert family of Madison, Wisconsin and incorporated in 1914. First Joe Schubert, then his son Harold managed the orchard. Bill and Marlene Meyer purchased the orchard from the estate of Harold Schubert in 1964, and moved to the orchard with their two sons Andy and Mike, and proceeded to build new buildings and make changes in orchard plantings.
Original salesroom building constructed in 1964. Change was made from harvesting apples in bushel baskets to bulk bins and fork lift management.
Salesroom: Over the intervening years the Meyers have built several additions: bakery, a seating area over looking the orchard, drive-in freezer room, and a separate retail cold storage building and a large packing house across the highway from the Retail area.
Packing House and Cider Mill: The packing house is across the highway. Apples from our orchard come into the packing house in bulk bins, are washed, sorted and packed in boxes or bagged. Other equipment includes a computer monitored apple weight sizer, equipment for bagged, tray pack and tote packs of apples. There is loading dock, an attached cold storage, and a separate dry storage building. The Cider Mill operation was moved in 2014 from the Retail Building to a separate Cider Mill area inside the Packing House.
Shop Buildings: Two separate shop buildings and a separate chemical storage shed have been constructed.